- Prepare the cacao butter by melting it gently in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water.
- Chop the almonds into small pieces.
- Split the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Crush them into a fine powder with the mortar and pestle.
- Put the chopped almonds, cardamom powder, soaked raisins (and any residual lemon juice), orange peel, lime peel and carob into a bowl. Mix well until everything is carob-coated.
- Pour the melted cacao butter and orange juice over the dry ingredients and mix really well so everything is coated with cacao butter and all the carob is worked in.
- Divide mixture between 12 small muffin cases or paper fairy cake cases.
- Optional – lick the bowl!
- Refrigerate pies for at least 4 hours before you enjoy.
Find Similar Recipes: Dessert, Detoxing Raw, Treats
Carob Christmas Pies
December 17, 2011
These are a heavenly Christmas treat – a raw vegan version of mince pies that’s chocolaty too!
2/3 cup almonds, soaked for 4-8 hours
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in 2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) cacao butter, melted
6 tbsp carob powder
1 tbsp orange peel
1/2 tbsp lime peel
3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp lemon juice (for soaking raisins – as above)
6 cardamom pods
Makes 12 Christmas pies
Mortar and pestle